Dental bridges literally bridge the gap created by one or more missing teeth.
A bridge is made up of two or more crowns for the teeth on either side of the gap -- these two or more anchoring teeth are called abutment teeth -- and a false tooth/teeth in between. These false teeth are called pontics and can be made from gold, alloys, porcelain, or a combination of these materials. Dental bridges are supported by natural teeth or implants.
Benefits of bridges include:
- Restoring your smile
- Restoring the ability to properly chew and speak
- Maintaining the shape of your face
- Distributing the forces in your bite
- properly by replacing missing teeth
- Preventing remaining teeth from drifting out of position